Friday, October 24, 2008

Busy, Busy, Busy

I had today off and thought I would get some packing and/or tossing done. I got started on the bathroom cabinets and filled a kitchen sized trash bag with out dated medications, bubble bath, creams, shower gels and hair products I no longer use. It's amazing how much junk you can accumulate and just hang on to...in case. I also realize I have way too many towels for one person but they will definitely come in handy at George's house, especially since his ex took all the good towels when she skipped out. I did notice the last time I showered there that he was in need of bath and bed linens...and since I once had an addiction to Bed Bath and Beyond, I can accommodate.

The heater in my car has been acting weird so I called the service station to see if they could get me in on Monday. The service manager said he had a cancellation at 11 and if I could get there pronto, he would pencil me in. So I took the car in and they found my thermostat wasn't working correctly so they replaced it. I also had some fluid leaking from a rear wheel cylinder so they went ahead and replaced that as well. The total for repairing these two items was over $400 but I wisely purchased an extended warranty when I bought the car and both were still under warranty. I still need to have a tune up but George's son Jon will do that for me in the coming weeks as I get my car ready for winter. It's nice to have a mechanic in the family. :-)

The car repairs took a couple hours out of my day so I didn't get as much done as I would have liked. I did manage to get my banking done, filled my gas tank, picked up some groceries, and I got a couple of loads of laundry done. George and I went out for pizza for supper and when we got back to my house, we finished cleaning out the linen cabinet. I sent him home tonight with most of my towels and a couple of blankets. He also realized that I have a nice blanket chest at the foot of my bed and he asked me if I was planning to bring that with me. I hadn't given it much thought but since his ex is taking her hope chest tomorrow when she removes the rest of her things, my blanket chest will come in handy. I bought it unfinished and it remains unfinished, so we can stain it to match his bedroom furniture and it will fit in perfectly.

Last weekend I cleaned out my dresser drawers to make room for the clothes that never seem to make it into the dresser. A lot of those clothes I haven't worn in a long time so I put everything that I no longer wanted in a pile and bagged them up. They are now in my trunk and will be dropped off at a Goodwill bin in the morning. I have another dresser to go through and my closet so I am certain there will be another bag or two of clothes to be donated. I also am going to drop off the kids old coats and jackets that have been hanging in the closets now for several years. Someone who needs them can still get a lot of wear out of them. I have several twin sized blankets and comforters that I will be donating to the veterinarian's office. They have served me and my pets well over the years so I figured they could use the blankets in the hospital or in the boarding kennel.

Little by little things are getting done around here. I still don't know what I am going to do with my furniture but once I get what I want out of here, I am thinking of having a moving sale and just take best offers on whatever I am not taking with me. I've asked the kids to come and take what they want but so far the only thing spoken for is the rocking horse my friend Roger made for Eric when Eric was a year old. Coincidently enough, George has a rocking horse just like it at his house that was made for his daughter Nicole when she was just a baby, by the same guy. (Eric and Nicole are just 8 months apart in age.)

Tomorrow we have to clean out Sara's room because a friend of George's wants to purchase her bed but it is right now covered with boxes and books. I've been hoping she would come home and get some of her stuff out of here but she doesn't have any room at Brad's house for it either. They are on a waiting list for an apartment but I think she's going to have to get a storage unit and move her things out of here. I won't be comfortable leaving her things here in an otherwise empty house. I hope it doesn't happen but empty houses are good targets for break-ins and it would be a shame if her things got stolen or vandalized.

I can't seem to keep my eyes open so I think I will call it a night.

6 comments:

LadyStyx said...

Weeding...sounds like something we need to do over here again already. Wise idea to put Sara's stuff in storage if there's a possibility of break-in. I hope you dont have that problem but it's always good to take precautions.

Toriz said...

I'm glad you're making progress with sorting things out. We ended up donating and throwing out a load of stuff when we moved in here. Actually, I've still got some stuff we haven't gotten around to taking to the charity shop yet.

Good luck with getting everything sorted out. :)

ChicagoLady said...

Sounds like you're starting to make a dent in sorting through everything. And I like that you're donating the clothes and blankets and such. I really need to get more of that done here.

Intense Guy said...

I bet you are thinking to yourself, "You know, I'm glad I don't own a concert hall grand piano" about now. Or at least I would be...

:)

AliceKay said...

Leave it to Iggy to think of something like that. LOL

Sounds like you're doing great with the cleaning out. And you're right about something...we do accumulate a lot of stuff over the years and keep it around...just in case.

Deanna said...

LOL at the concert hall grand piano, Iggy. I was think I would be glad not to be moving a pool table or sofa/sleeper. Yours is better.
Sounds like you are making great progress, Lainie. You are going to feel so good once you get moved and settled in.
After 27 years in one place, I cannot imagine moving. I'd have to bring in a dump truck for starters... ;)