Monday, April 16, 2007

April Showers...

...Ok well maybe not showers. More like April FLOODS! Holy smokes!! I can't believe the size of this Nor'Easter. It started here in southern NH around noon on Sunday, as wet snow/sleet. I would say about every half hour or so it changed over from snow to rain to sleet to snow again, etc etc, etc. By late afternoon it was coming down as all rain. That wouldn't have been so bad but then the wind kicked up and the rain was coming down sideways. It poured all night long and most of today. I am not sure how much rain we will get out of this but I am sooooooooo glad it isn't snow. It isn't raining right now but the sky is gray and the clouds are heavy. Weather reports say we will be getting rain and snow off and on until Thursday.
Getting to work today wasn't too much of a problem for me. I have a straight shot down my road for 1 mile to the entrance of the highway and then it's clear sailing (literally, LOL) for 20 minutes to work. Several of my co-workers however, weren't so lucky. Many of them had to turn around and go back home after finding roads on their way that were impassable. There were many tree limbs down across the roadways and a LOT of flooding. The rivers all around Southern New Hampshire and all over New England, I assume, are well beyond their banks. Hundereds of roads are completely under water. More than 700,000 people have no electricity. A lot of families have been evacuated from their homes.
I have power, my house is dry and secure, and I can get to and from work with no problem. I am very lucky.

My weekend was pretty good. I didn't have to work Saturday so I got a good jump on my housework early in the morning. I also got a lot of junk in the spare room cleared out. Most of it belongs to Sara but she hasn't bothered with any of it for over a year so I seriously doubt she will even notice I tossed out two large trash bags full of stuff. I can probably finish next weekend, and then I can get the futon set up and put my bookcase in there. It will make a real nice sitting room and the futon can be used as a bed when overnight company comes.

Gotta hit the shower. Catch you all later.

Lainie

5 comments:

AliceKay said...

Glad to hear you're safe and sound. We got rain, then sleet, then snow, and back to rain, then snow again..and it's still lightly snowing. It's a real mess out there, and there are power outages scattered around the area.

Kerry said...

It has to be over soon Lainie!!!

Toriz said...

Hang in there Lainie, it can't last much longer!

ChicagoLady said...

Glad you made it through the storm safely, I was thinking about you.

It's always a nice feeling to get some junk cleaned out of your home.

Lainie said...

It's still raining. :-(