Monday, July 09, 2007

Back to Work

Just a quick post this evening. I am exhausted. I really had a hard time going to sleep last night so naturally I had a terrible time getting up this morning at 4 to go back to work. I won't be up long this evening, that's for sure.

I had to cash my check tonight on my way home and then stop and pick up some food. I had asked my employer to mail my check last week so I didn't have to make the 22 mile trip into town to get it. I have direct deposit but for some reason they always have issues with it whenever there is a holiday so they process live checks on holiday weeks. They mailed my check but it never arrived until today, so I grabbed it when I got home and off I went to the bank.

The sky was black and it looked like a storm was right around the corner. I got into the store just as the sky opened up. I picked up a few things I needed for the week and headed home. Don't ask me how I did it because the latch to lock the sliding glass door is on the inside of the house, but somehow I managed to hit the latch when I closed the door this morning. I couldn't get into the house from the front door because there is no way to unlatch it from the outside. I tried several times to get the door opened but there was no way. The dog is way too small to reach up there so I got a little scared and thought maybe someone was inside. I walked around to the back of the house and checked the back door which was also locked. I'm not that brave so I called the cops on my cell phone and asked if an officer could come and enter the house with me in case someone was inside the house. He got here in like 2 minutes and walked around the house with me checking windows and such, then came into the house with me through the back door. We took a good look around and nothing was out of order, and no one was inside. The sliding glass door was indeed locked and neither of us could figure out how that could have happened. The only thing I can think of is the latch was partially flipped to the locked position and must have completely closed when I slid the door closed. The door is heavy and sometimes closes hard. In any event, I thanked the officer for coming out and apologized for being such a wimp. LOL He laughed and said he just got on duty wasn't doing anything and this was a nice easy call. Sheeesh! Why me?

The rest of my week long vacation was quiet. I am glad for that though, it was good to get some extra sleep and not be on the go every day. I went for some more blood work on Friday and met a friend for coffee afterwards. Saturday I went to Eric and Jessie's to see their new fish and ended up staying for dinner. I also popped in and checked on Sara at her new apartment. She only lives about 10 minutes away from Eric and Jessie so it wasn't out of my way. It looks like she is settling in nicely.

Check this out...
You can tell I live in a small town. The Fire Chief just stopped over to make sure everything was ok. News travels fast in this town. (My ex husband used to be a firefighter here so everyone on the fire department knows me.)

It is thundering out again and I need to jump in the shower. I hope you all have a great work week!

Lainie

9 comments:

AliceKay said...

I was happy to hear no one had entered your house. That's a scary feeling to think someone may be in there. It's nice to know you have people looking out for your well being. :)

Hope the rest of your week goes better than today.

Kerry said...

very scary!!

LOL @ the "check this out" Nice to know though you are surrounded by help!

ChicagoLady said...

Soooo, your sliding door is normally unlocked? Hmmm, I wouldn't have to hide in the backyard like I did at Kerry's, I could actually hide in the house! LMAO

I saw there were some storms going through the upper northeast tonight. I had some come through here too, kept me off the computer for a couple hours, because of the lightning.

Kerry said...

and my sliding door was unlocked while you were hiding in my backyard too, you just didn't check it LOL
Lightning and storms took my computer offline in the middle of the night. I heard the answering machine come back to life when the electricity came back on, and my clocks were flashing this morning.

Toriz said...

The thing I don't get is why you were worried about someone being in the house when the door was latched, but not when the door is unlatched. If you're not worried when it's unlatched, why be worried when it's locked? Besides, if your 'small town' is like mine, nobody would have been able to sneak in without being spotted by a neighbour anyway.

Lainie said...

I guess I should have mentioned that I have another door (the main front door) that is always locked that leads to an enclosed porch which you have to go thru to get to the sliding glass door that leads into the house.

Hope that clears up all the confusion.

Kerry said...

my house is in behind 3 other houses and away from the street... neighbors would see people breaking into my house... they may let them break in who knows! but they would see them LOL

Deb said...

i understand your fear and I would of done the same thing. Sometimes freaky things happen and it can be bery frightening. It is nice you live in an area wehre you are taken care of. I so wish we would of known Kerry's door was unlocked we could of scared her big time.

Kerry said...

Where did Lainie go?